.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Trout Bonanza

Now I know why so many people come here to fish for rainbow trout. There is a state fish hatchery located at Bennett Spring State Park.





And they release rainbow trout into the stream every night from April - October. Rainbow trout are not native to Missouri, but the state works to keep fishermen happy. The fees charged for trout permits pay for the raising and release of them.


It takes a lot of equipment and preparation to enjoy this sport. I have noticed waders hanging from the lantern poles at sites in the campground. Emma and I went for a long walk this morning and observed lots of people fishing along the stream. I went back this evening to get a closer look without her.



Earlier I wondered how so many fishermen could be successful without depleting the number of fish, but now I understand.



Different locations along the stream determine what kind of bait/lures can be used. It is quite regulated. I spoke with a couple of fishermen/women and learned a lot today. Most folks here are from Missouri, but I did see a license plate from Illinois and one from Kansas, and one lady comes here every year from Indiana. I also scoped out the state park store and the lodge restaurant. I think maybe I'll go to the lodge for lunch or dinner tomorrow.


Since the forecast calls for sunny days while I am here, I decided to start coating nine of the walking sticks I've been working on with polyurethane. It's been so rainy the last two weeks, I haven't been able to do that. One of the winners of the skull contest that I posted back a while ago lives near here and I'd like to get the sticks finished so she can make here choice of which one she'd like.



Hmm, I wonder if I could barter a walking stick for some fresh rainbow trout??? I do like fresh water fish and I've never tasted rainbow trout. I'll have to talk to some fisherpersons tomorrow.

In parting, here's a pic of the tee shirt I purchased in Arkansas showing that I've been to Pickles Gap, Skunk Hollow, and Toad Suck..........


Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later, Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment