.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Battle of the Bugs

By 8:00 this morning, I was out washing down the rig. The front of the RV was covered with bugs from my trip to Minnesota and back. The rest of the RV was covered with dust. There is a two mile drive down a gravel road to get to the volunteer sites, and the motorhome and car become coated in white road dust. I hooked two hoses together so I could reach all around the rig, and began scrubbing with an extended brush and a hand held sponge with a scrubbing surface on one size. Those bugs require quite a bit of elbow grease to get off. Eventually, I was satisfied with the front of the rig, and rinsed off the dust from the rest of the rig. Then it was time to wash the car. By the time I finished, the sweat (perspiration) was dripping off of me.

I hopped on my bicycle and headed for the office. I wanted to put up the sun shades on the front windows of the rig, and was hoping I could get one of the YCC boys to help me.




As you can see, a six foot young man can easily snap the sun shades into place. Do you see that ladder? I have to prop a footstool on top of it to reach the snaps, and it isn't exactly a safe undertaking for me. In two shakes of a lambs tail, the shades were up, and I really appreciated the help.


.


After lunch, all five of the YCC (Youth Conservation Corps) students descended on my site and mowed and weed-whacked all around my site. It's so nice to have the site maintenance taken care of for me! They also worked on constructing a border around my hookups. Soon, gravel will be placed inside the frame so there won't be knee high weeds surrounding my hookups. I'll post a picture when all is finished.


.


I talked to the folks at Quail Run RV Resort, in Arizona, about the winter workamping position, but it turns out they want someone from Oct.10 - April 7, and I have committed to return to Balcones Canyonlands NWR begining Feb. 15, so that didn't work out. If the volunteer position at Cibola NWR doesn't work out, I guess I'll just take the fall/early winter off and really spend the time truly retired. :)

.

Tonight, I think I'll try some of that blue kernel popcorn I got at the Amish visitor's center last week. I haven't mentioned that each night, hundreds of lightning bugs begin their display outside the rig. I haven't seen that many lightning bugs in a long time!

.

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later, Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment