.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Where are you from?

That's a question that I get asked often. The problem is how to answer. Most recently, I was asked that question yesterday in an interview for the Friends of Swan Lake NWR newsletter.

I'm just not sure how to respond. Do I say I'm from Chicago, where I grew up and spent the first 27 years of my life? Or do I say New York, where I spent 18 years, in the small town of Newark Valley, raising all three of my kids? Or do I say Minnesota, where I lived in Dodge Center and Kasson for 13 years, before I retired? Or do I say Sioux Falls, South Dakota, where I have claimed residence and have my mailing address?

If you live in a house, it's easy to say where you're from. If you travel in a motorhome fulltime, it's not so easy. None of the places where I've lived in a "sticks and bricks" call out to me as where I'm from. (I'm having a little issue with italics and can't turn it off) So there's the dilemma....

I'm thinking that the next time I'm asked, I'll just say I'm from the United States of America. What do you think?

I rolled in the awning today since there are thunderstorms possible overnight and tomorrow. Other than that it's been boring chores for the last two days like defrosting the refrigerator and freezer. I always like to leave a location with all the frost out of the small freezer. Depending on the weather tomorrow, I may or may not venture up on the roof to wash it down. I couldn't talk anyone into washing and waxing the RV here, so I may work on some of that myself.

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later, Judy

2 comments:

  1. The next time someone asks where you are from, tell them you are from "Chinewvaldodkassifalls"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem mom. From being born in Chicago to living in New York, North Carolina, Minnesota, Arizona and now Colorado I am not sure which to pick. Lately when people ask I say I am from Phoenix because that is the most recent. I think if the person asking all ready knows that you are a transient then you should just say Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete