.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Sunday Blast from the Past

At the end of August, 2007, I left Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge in North Carolina and headed northwest for a return to Indiana. It was a busy six weeks before I headed south to Texas for the winter. While at my daughter's house in Dyer, IN, we all flew out to Las Vegas for the marriage of my youngest son, Andy, over the Labor Day weekend. I then flew back and drove the RV to the 2007 Escapade. From there, I returned to Rice Lake State Park in Minnesota to camp host for a month while I did my Mayo Clinic checkups, and have repair work done on the rig.
.
Finally, it was time to head south. My first stop was at the Pleasant Creek State Recreation Area in Iowa. I met my sister, Pam, and her husband, Stan, there for the weekend.
Pam and I toured the Amana Colonies, and we took pictures of each other in Iowa's largest rocker. It is the same rocker used by Lily Tomlin when she was on Laugh In. It was interesting getting up into that rocker!
After spending the weekend with them, I continued on my journey with a five night stop at Watkins Woolen Mill State Park, a little northeast of Kansas City.

What a historic place this woolen mill is. All the original equipment is still intact.
I went on an interesting tour of the mill.
The countryside in this park was gorgeous.
As I made my way to the Rio Grande Valley, I stopped along the Gulf Coast to visit Aransas National Wildlife Refuge.
Aransas NWR is the wintering home of the endangered Whooping Crane. I was hoping to see this magnificent bird, but I struck out. I will definitely return to Aransas some time down the road. The best way to see the cranes is to take a boat tour of the bay. I was unable to do that on this trip, but I'll be back.
.
I visited many other sites on my three week excursion getting to Laguna Atascosa NWR, but these have been a few of the highlights of the trip.
.
Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later, Judy





1 comment: