.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Royal Gorge & a surprise visitor

When I woke up this morning, there was heavy fog that was fore casted to be gone by 9:00. That didn't happen. I decided to head for the Royal Gorge anyway. It is located outside of Canon (there's a squiggle line above the first "N" so it is pronounced canyon) CO, about fifty-five miles from my campsite. It didn't take very long to escape the fog.
.
This is the world's highest suspension bridge. It is 1,053 feet above the Arkansas River. The Royal Gorge Bridge and Park is a park owned and operated by the city of Canon City.
The best views of the bridge, in my opinion, are from the world's longest aerial tram. I took a ride on this tram.


I also took a ride down to the Arkansas River in the world's steepest incline railway. It has a 1,550' length at a 45* angle to the river.


From the bottom of the ride, you can look up at the suspension bridge.

.

This park was a little too commercial for my tastes, but I guess I can say I've seen the Royal Gorge. The cost was $21 and included the rides. Many of the venues were closed because it was after Labor Day. I also skipped the wildlife park. I'm not crazy about zoos.

.

When I got back to the rig, the temps had risen to the 70's and the wind was howling out of the NW. I hooked Emma up outside and enjoyed the balmy temps. After a while, I heard Emma scratching the ground, and when I turned around to look at her, here's what I saw....


I had no idea that there were tarantulas in Colorado. You can bet I flew out of my rocker to grab Emma so she wouldn't have a mishap with this arachnid! Spiders are about my least favorite things on earth....eeeek!
.
My plan is to head about 57 miles south of here tomorrow, and arrive at Lathrop State Park. The winds have to die down before I can accomplish that, however.
.
Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later, Judy

1 comment: