.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Sunday Blast from the Past

In May, 2008, I headed west on my way to my summer volunteer assignment. Along the way, I stopped at quite a few interesting places. One of them was El Morro National Monument in New Mexico.

El Morro is a huge mesa that was a landmark for travelers for many centuries.
As these travelers walked along El Morro, they left inscriptions on the rock.

Some inscriptions were quite elaborate, while others were not.

Ancient petroglyphs can also be found on the face of Inscription Rock.

These stairs are the beginning of the strenuous hike to the top of El Morro. The trail is a mile long, and I certainly knew I was hiking at over 7,000' in elevation. I made good use of the benches provided along the way to catch my breath.

Once on top, the hike continues over huge sandstone boulders as you walk around the rim of a box canyon.

The trail culminates at the ancient Puebloan dwellings perched high atop the mesa. Then it's a refreshing decent back down to the visitor's center. So began my "vacation" between volunteer assignments.
.
Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later, Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment