.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A phone call changes my plans

Many fulltimer's plans are etched in jell-o, which is one of the beauties of this lifestyle. This afternoon, I got a phone call from Stephanie Martinez, the volunteer coordinator at Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge. I was out walking Emma at the time, but she left an interesting message. I am scheduled to volunteer there come the first of the new year. She was wondering if I could come earlier. It seems that a couple of more volunteer sites have been put in working order after the devastation of hurricane Ike. That request got me thinking.

It was just a couple of days ago that I made reservations at an RV park in Rockport, TX, for the month of December. Before I called Stephanie back, I called Enchanted Oaks to see what their cancellation policy was. I had made a $60 down payment to secure my site there. As it turned out, they said they would make a full refund on my deposit, and hoped I would be able to visit them at some time in the future. WOW, that was a pleasant surprise! You can bet that I'll stay at that park some time when I go down to see the whooping cranes. :)

I called Stephanie, and she was thrilled that I could arrive sometime during the first week of December. She also promised that there would be warm weather for December and January...LOL. Because of the change in my arrival, I'll be able to help with the waterfowl counts amongst my other duties. You know that will make me happy! I'm also kind of getting bored with all this time on my hands.

The last few days have been taken up with errands, grocery shopping, and getting a hair cut; and I sure got my money's worth with this cut! This afternoon, my next door neighbor, Jack, helped me redo the duck tape fix on my awning. It's much better now. It needed two people working at the same time to get the fabric taut, and he was a willing volunteer to help me get that accomplished. I think it will hold just fine until I can get it replaced. I'll certainly have to be conscious of winds, as I always try to be, though.

Last night, we had about thirty people for the Monday night potluck, and what a nice variety of dishes we had to choose from. I do enjoy those gatherings!

I think I may head for the Florida Mountains tomorrow....

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later, Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment