.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Friday, December 18, 2009

Finally, a break in the bad weather

When the sun rose this morning, you could actually see it! I headed in to the shop to help one of the staff members clean up the sign area in the loft of the shop. My guess would be that there are enough signs in storage to last about fifty years. These signs are mostly road signs like speed limits, detours, no hunting, Nat'l Wildlife Refuge boundary signs, and all kinds of curves, along with trail signs. Quite a number of them were recovered from the debris from Ike. We sorted through all of them and got the area organized. Some old signs were reusable, but others were really beyond use. I can honestly say that I've never done a job like this before. ;) We were also kept company by a number of mice scurrying around.

This must be the year of the small rodent at Anahuac. Makes me think of the rise and fall of the lemming populations in the far north. I'm sure all the northern harriers and red-tailed hawks must be staying healthy with the wealth of food for them to catch. Do you more mature folks remember the body counts on the nightly news during the Viet Nam War? Well, we have our own version of the body count each morning as we compare notes on how many mice were caught in the traps overnight at the RV pads! Wouldn't it be wonderful if rodent engagements were the only kind of war our country had to deal with?

After lunch, I headed over to the office, in the town of Anahuac, and worked with Stephanie all afternoon on the education programs. We were able to get the kindergarten program ironed out and began work on the first grade program. We have to make sure that what we do goes along with the Texas science standards for each grade level. Kindergarten students need to learn about their five senses, so we developed a station for each sense. Most stations are activity driven at that age, and I think we came up with some enjoyable learning experiences for the little people. Stephanie has the next two weeks off, so I won't be meeting with her again until the new year.

Tomorrow, I'm scheduled to work in the VIS all day, so I'll have to be up and at 'em quickly in the morning. I'm still debating whether or not to take Emma along with me. Nine hours is a long time to just leave her to her own devices in the rig. :(

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later, Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment