.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Sunday Blast from the Past

After visiting Arches National Park in Utah in September, 2008, I headed southeast into Colorado to spend three days at Mesa Verde National Park.
After spending about 600 years living on top of the cliffs, the Ancestral Puebloan people began building their villages under the cliffs. They still farmed the mesa tops, but lived below.
They lived in these cliff dwellings from about 1190-1270. Mesa Verde (green table) NP contains some of the largest and best preserved of these dwellings. This is Cliff Palace, one of the larger dwellings.
This is a portion of the Long House ruins.


I don't remember the name of this dwelling, but they were all fascinating to me. I took a half day ranger led tour while I was there, and felt it was well worth the $50 cost.

I was happy I had made reservations at the park campground, as there weren't any empty sites. The cost was just under $33/night, but that did include water and electric. I didn't qualify for an Interagency Senior Pass at that time, so I paid the full price.

After leaving Mesa Verde, I slowly made my way to Albuquerque to check off an experience on my bucket list. Stay tuned next Sunday for that blast.

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later, Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment