.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I've been counted!

Just as scheduled, the worker from the Census Bureau showed up at 9:00 this morning to count about four people that are living on the refuge.  I was first.  What a sour puss young lady she was!  I made the mistake of asking her how she liked her job.  She "counts" folks that are in group homes, nursing homes, homeless, and those of us presently living on the refuge.  She went into a tirade of how she felt this is such a colossal waste of the tax payer's money to seek out such people to just boost the economy.  I'm thinking it rather boosted her economy by providing her with a job.  I have a friend, Susan, in Minnesota, that I think is doing the same job, and I'm sure she wouldn't be so negative about it.  Sheesh!

Anyway, since I guess I'm an indigent (my home just happens to have wheels), I got to fill out the short form.  There were only 7 questions: Name, birth date, sex, race, home address, etc.  No more questions about whether or not I had a TV or computer.  It only took a couple of minutes.  I claimed South Dakota as my residence rather than Texas, even though I was in Texas on April 1.  Texas is huge and has enough people to claim residency.  Enough of that....

Once I was done with that rather unpleasant experience, I did some more Xeroxing for Rob.  Then I headed out to go to the Victoria Tract to see if it was better for finding golden-cheeked warblers for my tours.  Of course, I got a little lost and took the wrong path.  I don't understand why this always seems to happen to me.  :(  However, it was an enjoyable walk and I did find some warblers. 

My time was limited since I had to be in Jonestown by 11:30 for the thank you luncheon for John, Lynne, and myself.  We will all be finishing our volunteer stint here in the near future.  Deborah, the refuge manager, picks up the tab for our lunch, and we are recognized for our contributions.  It's a nice gesture that the folks in a couple of other refuges could learn from.  :)  It doesn't take too much to make us happy, and recognition for our work is the best way to do it!

Back at the ranch, Emma and I relaxed outside for the early evening.  I'll be setting my alarm again tonight for an early wake up for tomorrow's bird tour.  I'm going to take the folks to the Victoria Tract and hope not to get lost again.  :)

Thanks for stopping by....talk to you later,  Judy

5 comments:

  1. What a shame the census bureau has a representative with all the charm and friendliness exhibited by your counter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Florida when the census came, and it was not forwarded to me, I ask my post off ice about this and they said that they were not allowed to forward them, but I still havn't got one, and now one has showed up to count me!
    G&M

    ReplyDelete
  3. She should be thankfull she has a job, I constantly am, that I have a skill that I can fall back on for retirement jobs, to help with my retirement bills. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU Count! She should be glad she has a job! I also have a friend who has worked for the census thee times now. She says it's the easiest money she makes in her round of interesting jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had to turn down 3 census jobs the last couple of month's. All of them were going to pay $16 and hour. I just couldn't take the 4 days off of work so that I could do the training. I wish they had the training in the evening.

    ReplyDelete