.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Friday, July 9, 2010

The Sacajawea Historic Byway

Yesterday morning, I decided that Emma and I were going to drive the Sacajawea Historic Byway along Idaho state route 28.  Of course Rte. 28 wasn’t exactly close to us, so we also drove portions of the Fort Henry Historic Byway and the Lost Gold Trails Loop for 70 miles in order to reach Rte. 28.
_MG_2313 _MG_2314
These were bigger than life-size silhouettes erected on a rise depicting the Nez Perce warriors.
It was a dirt/gravel road at this point, and was it ever dusty!  I had to stop at one point to allow an airplane to use the road as a runway for taking off.  First time I’ve ever had to do that.  Most of the land in this area is owned by one huge ranch, so maybe that’s how they check on all the cattle that are scattered for miles.
I eventually made it to the town of Dubois, and headed down Idaho 22 for a thirty mile stretch before intersecting with Idaho 28.
IMG_2317 IMG_2319
22 took me through another valley, and the irrigation sprinklers were on full tilt all along the way.  I guess you could say that folks in this valley ‘make hay while the sun shines.’  :)
IMG_2334I wasn’t able to stop at all the places shown on the map or else Emma and I wouldn’t get home until midnight!  I just don’t like to do much night driving anymore.  My first stop was at the BLM campground at Birch Creek (for a pit stop).   All of the sites are along the creek following a bumpy dirt road.  This campground is for those that don’t mind having no hookups.  However, there is no fee to camp there.
IMG_2321 IMG_2323
I must say that it was hard to keep my eyes on the road with such great scenery surrounding me.  :)
IMG_2332We took yet another dusty gravel road for the six miles it took to get to the charcoal kilns.  I was hoping there might be a spot to have lunch and exercise Emma a bit. 
IMG_2326The remaining kilns are about twenty feet high.  I suppose they were built so far up in the mountains to be near the supply of logs.
IMG_2329 IMG_2331
As it turned out, there were two picnic tables at the kilns.  This is the view I had as I ate my sandwich.  Once again, Emma and I had this marvelous location all to ourselves.  :)
After a refreshing break, Emma and I headed out.  We still had about 70 miles to go to get to Salmon, ID.
IMG_2340Our destination in Salmon was the Sacajawea Interpretive Center.  This is the visitor’s center and museum with the statue of Sacajawea on the left side of the picture.  The entrance fee was $5.00.
IMG_2336They have placed the statue so that Sacajawea’s beloved Bitteroot  Mountains are behind her.  I’m sure you all know how she helped out Lewis and Clark, so I won’t go into that.
IMG_2338 IMG_2339
The grounds of the Interpretive Center are quite expansive, and include other sculptures as well as trails.  The afternoon was waning, and I still had four hours to drive to get back to camp, so I had to skip the trails for this trip.
IMG_2341WE WALK UPON MOTHER EARTH FROM THE TIME WE ARE BORN TO THE TIME WE DIE. THOUGH MANY MAY JOIN US ON OUR JOURNEY, NO ONE WALKS THE SAME PATH.    SUN WOMAN
How true are these words!  A good thing to remember…No one walks the same path, nor should they.
IMG_2342The outdoor portion of the Sacajawea Interpretive Center is pet friendly.  Emma really enjoyed the nicely groomed lawns.  Suffice it to say that everything came out all right.  :)  After a 200+ mile drive home, we finished our sojourn for the day.  It was another excellent adventure!

I would like to welcome Kerry as my 50th blog follower.  Thanks for signing on!  As other bloggers have said, “I never thought there would be fifty people following my blog.”  What a pleasant surprise to find that though no one walks my path but me, others have decided to join me on my journey.

I think I hear those hummingbirds calling my name….

Thanks for stopping by….talk to you later,  Judy

P.S.  I tried to post this on Thursday afternoon, but the park wifi was down all night.  Bummer.  :(

11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful trip! I'm not sure I could start out on such a long day trip, but I'm sure it was worth it. I loved the pet sign!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The post was well worth waiting for, the pictures are great and you had a beuatiful sunny day for your travels, Be safe out there, Sam & Donna..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post and thanks for the Great pics. We love the sign "Pet Owners Must be on a Leash" Way too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that Ma and John are walking the path with you. And I bet that John is reading every sign post you pass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice drive and the pictures are great to.

    Thanks for the tour...

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post Judy! and fabulous photos once again!!..looks like you and Emma had a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. actually you have 51... I choose not to "follow", but instead bookmark my peeps that I keep track of ~ it's just easier for me that way. Perhaps I'm walking to the beat of a different drumer?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post and well worth waiting for. The drive you and Emma took was amazing. Just absolutely beautiful!! I was especially touched by the quote - WE WALK UPON MOTHER EARTH FROM THE TIME WE ARE BORN TO THE TIME WE DIE. THOUGH MANY MAY JOIN US ON OUR JOURNEY, NO ONE WALKS THE SAME PATH. SUN WOMAN
    Thanks!

    Mike & Gerri (happytrails)
    http://freedom2roll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous pics of Idaho's country side!
    It must be hard to keep your eyes on the road with all that scenery!
    I feel your pain in having interrupted wifi!
    But it was worth the wait!
    Happy Trails,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely trip you took your readers on. The scenery was breathtaking. Sometimes the best views are on the unpaved roads. Nice pics, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Judy,

    Another fine blog.

    I am beginning to see that it will take a lot of time and several trips back to the northwestern U.S. to even scratch the surface of all it has to offer.

    We are now in South Dakota.

    ReplyDelete