.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Three Scenic Idaho Byways

Emma and I headed out fairly early today because the plan was to drive three of the scenic byways in Central Idaho.  We ended up doing the entire length of the Peaks to Craters Byway, and good portions of the Salmon River Byway and the Sawtooth Byway.  I have to say that I’m thinking I really got spoiled with my two months in the Yellowstone area.  It’s hard to top that area for scenery and wildlife.  I’m not sure I can ever beat that in the lower 48.  With that said, today was a gorgeous day and the scenery was enjoyable (all 300 miles of it). 
IMG_3748One of our first stops was along the Salmon River.  The drive goes through National Forest and BLM land.  This river got it’s name from all the Chinook and Sock Eye Salmon that have historically migrated up this river, after years in the Pacific Ocean, to spawn.  It was common for them to reach a length of 4’ and weigh 40 lbs.  Of course, then we had to build some dams, and over fish the population, so that by 1994, only one salmon was spotted at this point in the river.  The dam has been taken care of, and the fish have been put on the endangered species list.  This year, locals are very excited because they have seen quite a few salmon.  They travel upstream from the ocean in June and July, and begin spawning here at Indian riffles in late August and September.  I’m happy to hear about the improvement in numbers.  I, however, did not see one fish.  :(

As I headed down the grade into Stanley, Idaho, after following the Salmon River for about 40 some miles, I pulled over to get the header picture of the Sawtooth Mountains.  Of course, the Salmon River and those wonderful Idaho fences helped with the picture composure.  :)
IMG_3755 IMG_3760
Getting these pics in May or June would have added that snow capped extra.  Timing can be everything.  :)  All of the roads on these three byways are two lane with very good pavement.  I believe the worst grades were only 6%, so all the roads are do-able with big rigs.
IMG_3763The last portion of this circle tour of scenic byways, was spent on US 20, and took us through the Craters of the Moon National Monument and Preserve from a different direction.  Today, we went through the portion that was used as Goodale’s Cutoff in the mid 1800’s by those pioneer folks heading for Oregon.  I just can’t imagine driving a covered wagon over this terrain.  Dang!  Those folks had some Chutzpa!!
IMG_3764The mountains surrounding the monument just grab my attention.  They have such varied colors and textures.  They look smooth and soft, but looks can be deceiving.  This is a very harsh desert environment.
IMG_3767Pictures, of course, don’t do them justice.  So, you’ll just have to come here and see them for yourself.  :)  I did see two big black tailed bucks, a fox, and too many chipmunks today, but none were interested in posing for a portrait.  :(  I think Emma and I will sit outside tonight and see if a hummingbird will be more cooperative…

Thanks for stopping by….talk to you later,  Judy

14 comments:

  1. Those are amazing byways. That header pic is to die for. Thanks for the tour of the area, Judy. It is always a pleasure riding along with you and Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a gorgeous header pic!! It may not be Yellowstone but it is mighty scenic in itself. As always, your pics are super!! Thanks for taking us along on this wonderful drive through the byways.

    Mike & Gerri (happytrails)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos again today, Judy. 300 miles is quite a bit of driving for one day, I'm surprised you even had time to take all those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work, Judy! I was going to head for Stanley last year when I had my "accident" so had to skip it and drive straight to Kansas. I still have that part of Idaho in mind, though, and I'll get there. Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew--300 miles is a lot of driving for a day trip. But we get the benefit when we read about your day and see your amazing pictures. I like all of your header pictures, but this one is just fabulous. I am just learning to use the panorama program that Rick told us about, but so far all of mine turn out way too small. What's your secret?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tour of this beautiful area which you have captured so vividly! I too, love your header pic...wish I knew how to post a pic into the header...maybe I need a new layout. K
    beachkat327@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to repeat what everyone else has said..fantastic header picture..that one is a keeper!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect timing. We are headed that way in the next few weeks after we leave salt Lake City.

    Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post (they all are) I love your blog! I live my full time RV'ing thru your blog and others that I read, since my RV'ing has been put on hold, I will be moving to Fl to help out my dad. So keep up the great work you put in this blog!! Hi to Emma
    Donna and Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your photos today Judy, that is a worm fence in your header photo and a very long worm fence. You keep hanging around the MT/ID area and you will become a native--driving 300 miles in one day isn't anything to us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Judy, there aren't enough words to describe your pictures. Breathtaking!! Am caught up on your blog and loving every post.

    To answer your question, no I didn't take my header picture. I don't even know how to use my pictures on the header, but I am sure I will learn all these little tricks. Rick is a big help and I sure apprecite him helping me. Pidge

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my God...Den and I were in Stanley years ago and stayed in a log cabin right outside Stanley..It was July and we had frost on the roof in the mornings...We were there for Sawtooth Mountain Mama's Craft Show...and we danced at the Rod and Gun Club in "downtown" Stanley..dirt streets and only 2 of them..Thanks for posting pic of those beautiful mountains...I really want to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhh Steve and I both agreed, we want to be camping alongside that river. What a lovely place!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pictures, you really have a knack for being in Beautiful places, have fun and be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete