.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Split decision

After going through last night’s post comments, it seems that lots of people don’t like bugs.  There was a faction, though, that didn’t find them offensive or ugly.  I guess I fall in the later category.  That’s not to say that I love all bugs.  All bugs seem to love me, though.  Smile  Seems I’m a bug magnet!  I could certainly live without mosquitoes, chiggers, biting midges, and spiders simply give me the Willy’s.  MERIKAY, wins the prize for being the first to identify the Eastern Lubber Grasshopper (romalea microptera).  In checking my blog, it appears that a couple of anonymous folks beat her to it, but hers was the first I got on my email.  One of those anonymous folks also identified the caterpillar as a white-marked tussock moth.  Thanks to all of you for your help!  I guess my Google skills need improving.  Sad smile

 

We had some rain last night as a cold front moved through.  I’m pleased that I thought ahead and packed away the rocker and pulled in the awnings.  This morning dawned much cooler, and the humidity was pleasant for a change.  As I was getting ready to take the inflatable kayak for an early morning paddle down the bayou, Doug appeared and asked if I had anything important planned for today.  Seems the fire crew had been waiting for northerly winds to do a prescribed burn.  I knew what he was going to ask, and I agreed.

 

When there is a prescribed burn, just about all staff are involved.  That means no one was available to run the Visitor’s Center.  Isn’t it nice to be needed?  Rolling on the floor laughing  So, scratch the bayou float once again.  I’m going to try to sneak it in tomorrow morning instead.  Wish me luck!

57 MS Sandhill Crane NWR33

It turned out to be a day of firsts for the season.  Since I didn’t have any business for most of the morning, I stepped outside and found this male summer tanager singing his heart out in one of the live oak trees.  It was hard to get a pic of him when he wasn’t singing!  I just love all the exuberant dawn chorus of birds.

57 MS Sandhill Crane NWR32

The great-crested flycatchers have been here a few days, but this was my first chance to get some photos of them.  Their raucous “wheep!” call was echoing through the woods.

57 MS Sandhill Crane NWR31

And I couldn’t dismiss the diminutive brown-headed nuthatch.  They’re here year round, but I always enjoy watching them work through the pine trees.  They pluck little insects from the bark of the trees.

 

It is warm enough to have the windows open tonight (and not so hot that the AC is running).  The sun has set, and it’s as dark as the ace of spades outside.   As I gazed outside the window while typing, I noticed the first lightning bugs of the season.  While I was appreciating another ‘bug’, I heard this year’s first cry of a Chuck- will’s-widow echoing through the woods.  They are an insect eating bird that flies at night, and roosts during the day.  Their mating call is very haunting.  It lets me know I’m in the south…

 

Thanks for stopping by…. talk to you later,  Judy

16 comments:

  1. Lightning bugs are one type of bugs that I don't mind. I hope you finally get to go on your kayak trip tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't dislike most bugs, other than the obvious .... cockroaches, fleas, lice, etc. I really enjoy ladybugs, walking sticks, praying mantis', dragonflies, etc. I figure we all have our place in the purpose of the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bird pictures are stunning!! Thanks for sharing!
    Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't have a lot of different kinds of birds here in this part of Ontario right now but I do enjoy listening to them in the morning. Definitely a sign of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss the lightning bugs. I've never seen them in the west.

    The tanager is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That male summer tanager is a stunning bird! I was thinking about you today. You have a very good eye to spot all the birds that you do. Have you always been a bird watcher, or was it something you took up when you became a full timer? Yesterday I spent about 15 minutes trying to see a wood pecker that I knew was up in my big tree. I could hear him, but never caught site of him.

    I made my ID of that critter before I read any of the comments. As soon as I read you were wondering what it was I zipped over to Google and played with words until I found them. I think I got it at black grasshopper with red stripe.

    Thought it was fun to submit the latin name when I saw others had also identified them.

    You could start a "what is it" challenge for those of us who get our wildlife in our recliner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just have to say how much I always enjoy all your bird photos and comments. The colors on today's birds are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't have those Tanager's up here & the closest bird we have with that color is a male Cardinal. I'm looking forward to the return of our songbirds soon. Thought I spotted an American Goldfinch yesterday on the birdbath. Birds are great fun & a great challenge to photograph & a good bird photo is always well worth the effort. That red Tanager looked nice with the green leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like Al,we don't get Tanager's here...Loved his picture...We had our first Goldfinch here yesterday..They are soooo pretty (the males anyway)..I'm still waiting for my first Hummers..Thanks for all your great photos of the new and different birds we wouldn't be able to see from Illinois!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How I just love all your bird pictures, identification of them and your writing...I feel like I'm right there with you! I don't mind bugs either, unless they bite me.
    We have just 18 more days before we move into our RV full time. We will be living at Assateague Island National Seashore for two months while Wayne volunteers at the campground and I work at the local law office. Getting very excited now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must admit I was one of the anonymous bug identifiers--just wasn't sure I was ready to reveal myself as one who has so much time on my hands to be googling insects! :-) I love all of your photos, bugs included. I, too, love all wildlife except for those darn mosquitoes and ticks--can't quite figure out what their purpose is. Please keep your beautiful pictures coming!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bird pictures are fabulous, as always. Hope you get to go out on the bayou. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was thinking for a moment that someone at the office read your blog and was going to have you count the bugs that escaped from the prescribed burn. Attending to the visitor center sounds a lot less hectic :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The tanager photos was amazing, what a beautiful bird. Oh and lightning bugs, I love them. In Iowa you know it is summer when you see the lightning bugs. Last summer one night in the county park we looked out at an area of prairie and it was sparkling with millions of lightning bugs, it was amazing and a sight I will always cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What great photos! Sadly, I've never seen a tanager in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay - lightning bugs (and lady bugs and daddy long legs) are okay bugs. And I know I like the Chuck-will's-widow since it eats bugs.

    I so missed your pictures while we were stuck in Death Valley with no internet. So much fun catching up.

    ReplyDelete