.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

One chore taken care of

This morning my plan was to call my road assistance plan about the flat tire, and call my insurance company about the awning and basement panel that was crunched.  When I pulled out my Sam’s Club Road Assistance card I noticed that it had expired at the end of March.  Oh, no!  I was surprised because I had not received any notifications that would indicate I should renew.  After scrambling around for a while, I found the customer service number.  It turned out that the card doesn’t expire until next year, but they hadn’t sent me an updated card.  Phew!

They then transferred me to the service number, and eventually help was sent out.  Of course, the tech couldn’t find this place even though I had given detailed directions.  So, I hopped in the car and met him a few miles away and led him to my site.  He determined that his jack would just sink into the to sand, so I suggested that I could pull in the slides, lift the levelers, and then only use the driver’s side levelers to tilt the rig high enough so he could get the tire off.  It worked, except he still couldn’t get the outer lugs nuts off to remove the hubcap.  So, he drove back to the shop to get the proper tools and returned about an hour later.

He still struggled because he thought he could just pull off the lug nut covers.  Not so.  Eventually, he figured out that they had to be unscrewed.  We were finally making progress.  In the process of trying to pry the covers off, he bent the screw driver I gave him.  It was one of those cheap things from China.  He felt bad enough that he gave me a top notch screw driver to replace it.  (that was after he asked how my husband got the covers off  Smile)  My answer surprised him.

Once the tire was removed, it turned out that nothing was wrong with it.  The valve extender that I had installed was not screwed down tight enough, thus a slow leak developed.  That’s better than having to buy a new tire!  You can bet that I let the place where I had it installed know about the problem.

So, the properly inflated tire is all put back together.  It was 3:00 in the afternoon before everything was taken care of, and even though I hadn’t done much of any physical work, I was pooped.  Once he left, I re-leveled the rig and put the slides back out.  I was thinking I might have a bill to pay with all the goings on, but he said it would be covered by my policy.  I signed the dotted line, and off he went.

I never did get a chance to call the insurance company about the other issues.  Guess I’ll tackle that tomorrow.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

25 comments:

  1. I would loved to have heard your answer to the "husband" question :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. Sounds like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHEW, I'm worn out just reading about it...glad it all got worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to hear what your reply was on the husband question too!

    Mine is usually "well, if I had one, I could ask him!" - LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, ha - yeah, I'd like to hear your answer, too (probably some very cordial explanation of the fact that you travel solo, but we can all imagine). Just keep pluggin' away on those problems; they all get sorted out eventually. No fun, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lot of work just because of a valve extender not being tightened. I don't know why all the excitement about the guys' husband question though - it seemed to be a pretty innocent question to me given the big MH you are driving. Let's face it, how many single women actually do drive those monsters?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Rick!..how many women out there are actually driving the 'big ass motorhome' on their own?..I don't think I could do it!..you go Judy!..good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it when something "bad" turns out to be not as bad as initially thought. The time and trouble spent is still irritating, but it is the end result that really matters.

    And yeah, let's hear about your answer to him about your husband in another post!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As others have noted, I would love to hear what you said to the husband comment:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. One problem solved, a couple more to deal with, but you can handle it. That was good news about not needing a new tire!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anytime you remove one of those big bus tires it is a real back breaker, glad to hear one problem gone two to go. Have fun in your new homesite, Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As any Motor Home driver will attest to, they are far easier to drive than they look. Most people are intimidated by their size until they drive one. Nothing monstrous about them at all & there are probably far more women driving large school buses than men. Good for you & all the other women out there in proving this RV living & driving is not just a macho man's thing!! You go girls:))

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've found that sometimes it's more tiring watching and supervising a worker with my truck, rig or stix-n-brix (in the past) than doing the work myself! Of course, if it were a job I could do, I would have! Okay, it's early and maybe that didn't make a lot of sense! High-five to ya, Judy and all the other ladies who solo or tow, from one who does! Rock on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like the others, I would love to know your answer to the Husband question....Glad you got part of your problems out of the way.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad the problem turned out not to be the tire itself ... take it as a sign that you have turned the corner on your run of bad luck.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That day is what is known as a "mental workout"...I hope you had a self righteous smirk on your face when asked the "husband" question.
    As Helen ReddY would say, "I AM WOMAN HEAR ME ROAR!"...(DID I JUST DATE MYSELF?)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It seems that the things that should be simple become quite complex through the process. Glad you din't have to buy a new tire and all things worked out well.
    We forget how many women bus drivers are out there and how comfortable they feel driving those big school buses.
    Take care and luck on those other issues with your MH.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so funny - not to mention inspirational! Glad you got the tire fixed and that it wasn't any worse. I wonder about the husband comment too, but what I would really like to know is what you said to whoever didn't tighten the valve extender!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I once met a woman who was a city bus driver. Can you image driving our motorhomes around St Paul, Minnesota, all day everyday? Plus dealing with all the pull over to the curb stops and the people who ride with you? It makes what we do sound easy. But they don't have to back into differently sized and shaped campsites, either, so maybe they are luckier? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you got your tire fixed... and I bet his mouth dropped open when you told him that you're the Head Honcho in that rig!!!
    Have fun & Travel safe
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  21. What were you PLANNING to do yesterday?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry about that. I tried to post last night and blogger didn't post under my google. Wanted to let you know that your problems with the valve stem leakage may not be over. They may have tightened the stem to the point that they damaged the little o-rings in either the stem of the tire or the valve stem itself and the leak could be even worse. Keep checking the tire pressure for a while to be sure it is okay. If not, go to a real (not Camping World!) tire shop to get the stem and valve replaced. Be safe and enjoy your travels. I love your blog and your photography!
    Terry Russell www.gypsyjournalrv.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Now really, if there had been a man in the picture - wouldn't he have been out there supervising? I know mine would be. So I hope next time he'll know that women can do a lot of things even if we may not want to do them.

    Good luck with the tire.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm glad there was no real damage, and no cost to you. Even though the day was kind of a wasted one, a problem was easily solved. Could have been so much worse!
    Whenever someone, mostly men, ask me a question about my husband, I usually answer as if I had one. It's so much easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. As a friend of mine would say, "nothin's easy". I compliment you on your good-natured handling this entire ordeal!

    ReplyDelete