.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Back to work

As I’m sure many of you know, it’s been pretty hot and dry in Texas this year. 

_MG_3781

Even though it’s located on the gulf coast, the refuge hasn’t been immune to these conditions.  The pond behind the VIS is dry as a bone.  It hasn’t seemed to inhibit the mosquito population, however.  Sad smile  If there’s one of those little nasty things around, they always seem to find any piece of my exposed skin.  I’m itching away this evening.

As I left for the VIS this morning, the cold front that moved through resulted in a 38* temperature.   Brrr!  Since it has been so hot up until this morning, the little heaters hadn’t been moved back to the VIS yet.  I was wearing multiple layers and gloves as I opened shop this morning.

64 Anahuac NWR 2011

The clouds had been blown away overnight, and eventually the sun warmed things up.  The butterfly gardens were alive with gulf fritillaries.  I even found several of their caterpillars.  As I walked the paths, they flitted about in little clouds.

64 Anahuac NWR 20111

There were also monarchs and several other varieties of butterflies taking advantage of the asters and Turk's  caps.  Finding them helped pass the time as there weren’t very many visitors today. 

_MG_3764 _MG_3802

There were a few warblers about, and the little rabbit that seems to live under the VIS shack.  It was a long nine hours for my first day back to work.  I’ll be back there tomorrow afternoon, but then I’ll have a day off to take care of chores.  It will take a few days to get back in the groove for both Emma and me.  Since she’s had me around the rig for the last six months, I’m sure she was a little surprised to be cooped up alone all day today.  If she were calmer, I’d be able to take her with me.  Maybe in another five or six years…  Smile

Don’t forget to turn your clocks back tonight.  If I wake up at the usual time tomorrow, maybe Emma and I will take an early morning hike on the Skillern Tract.  The moist soil units there have been kept hydrated, so there should be lots of birds.  I’ll see if I can drag myself out of bed around six.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

24 comments:

  1. I just checked & daylight savings ends next Sun, not tomorrow -- so you'll have to wait another week to get that hour back:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many of the RVers seem to just pop out of bed before dawn. I know that will never be true of Craig and I, and I'm glad to hear that someone has a little trouble too. But a good photo op and sunrise seems to be a motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daylight Savings ends on the 6th! You had me going for a minute, Judy. I know how you feel about leaving Emma behind when you work. I'm so used to being with Jack that I'm already nervous if I have to leave him for surgery. My daughter will take care of him, but he'll be alone for longer than he ever has been.

    Hope your first day at work was great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nine hours on the first day back, wow, you must be tired. BTW, Day light savings time change is next Saturday. You've had a couple of trying weeks, its ok!!!! Love your photos, especially the bunny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ability to remember goes first. BTDT

    ReplyDelete
  6. You gotta be tired after a nine hour day on the firs day back. DST doesn't end until next week. You have some beautiful pics on your blog tonight. May be your first day back, but the pics show incredible photography!

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice photos of all the different species of butterflies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhh, there are the lovely pictures/collages i am accustomed to! Glad things are going well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pictures are gorgeous as always. Sorry your first day back to work was so long...for you & Emma! And your not the first person I've heard say to turn the clocks back tonight. I started to think part of the country was changing early this year! Silly me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice pictures. It is said that work is good for the soul. That must be particularly true of volunteer work:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely butterfly pix. Do they move slower because it's been so dry or are you very fast with the shutter? I'd be still trying to get the lens cap off... ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I won't be setting my clocks back an hour until next week. I had to look at the calender to verify the date, though. I can't keep track of things like that anymore. It's hard to believe that the cold overnight temperatures don't kill off those pesky mosquitoes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pictures, what kind of camera are you using?
    No time change here in AZ. I am so happy about that of course when I worked it was a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful butterfly pictures. Nine hours is a long day so hope you rest well tonight.

    Read in another blog that essential oil (like lemon or citrus) mixed in with plain old body lotion works well to repel mosquitoes. I hate repellent so I'm going to try it but haven't yet so don't know if it works.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll be doing the turn-the-clocks-back thing twice this year ... ugh! We made the change in Turkey last night ... I'll have to do it again when I return to the US on the 6th :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  16. As usual, Judy, you are ahead of the curve - even with DST. You had me worried as we're about to head for the ferry and for a second I thought we were going to be an hour early.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow...a 9 hour day to start with. that's quite a transition!Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You threw me for a moment with turning the clocks back...You better wait till next weekend unless you want to be late to work! Glad you are back in familiar diggs...and keeping your wine chilled...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely butterflies. At least you have beautiful things to look at during the slow times. So glad you are finally there.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well... at first I thought I got up really late. Or was it early....? Then I read all the comments ~ like most of the other folks did not, and realized, yes, I did get up late, but it had nothing to do with my clock; just my body! Now, tho, I have to make my mind remember about next week, unless of course you will be reminding everyone again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sad to see the area so dry. Looks like everyone else let you know not to set your clock back quite yet. Love the photos of the butterflies.

    ReplyDelete