.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Final touches

I had a few things left to do today to finish my set up here on the refuge.  Most important was getting some bird seed for my feeders.  Mice really like birdseed, so I haven’t had any on board for a while because of the mouse problem at Anahuac.

IMG_5575 IMG_5576

I headed for Ocean Springs and the Rouses Grocery store.  I was a tad bit hungry when I arrived there, so you know what that can do to your shopping cart.  Smile  They had a huge display of King’s Cakes with free samples so I was sucked right in.  Yesterday was King’s Day, and, I believe, the beginning of the Mardi Gras season.  Traditionally, King’s Cakes have a little baby baked inside, and the person getting the piece with the baby will have good luck for the year.  Since the baby was on top, I decided to choose a piece to eat with it on it.  Had enough bad luck last year, so hope this will help.

That cake is more than one person can eat, so I shared it with my fellow volunteers this afternoon.  The cakes come in many varieties, but all are adorned with green, yellow, and purple sprinkles, the traditional colors of Mardi Gras.  I chose the Bavarian cake because of the chocolate.  It was stuffed with Bavarian crème.

_MG_5530 _MG_5546

As I was unloading my groceries, I noticed this pileated woodpecker working the pine trees around the rigs.  Hello Woody!

IMG_5564

In the afternoon, Emma and I took a hike around the Dees Nature Trail on the refuge.  This was the area that had the prescribed burn last April.  Fire has brought needed life back to the under story.

IMG_5563 IMG_5562

The remains of last year’s pitcher plants were evident.  Can’t wait to see this year’s crop.

IMG_5573

The trail goes through the pine savannah and along Bayou Castille.  It was a gorgeous afternoon for a walk.

IMG_5568

There are several benches along the trail where you can sit and enjoy the solitude and nature’s geometry. (A=Pi r squared) Surprised smile  You can take the teacher out of the math classroom, but you can’t take the math out of the teacher…

IMG_5569

Emma, of course, doesn’t give a crap about math.  She just craps when and where she wants to, and sniffs her way through life.  Phew!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

33 comments:

  1. I just love woodpeckers!!!! Great photos!
    Hope you don't have mice issues where you are now!

    I'm certain you will find luck this year. I was wondering what that little pink thing was, is that edible?

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You picked my favorite King Cake, Bavarian Cream. You can put the baby into the cake from the bottom and the person that gets it has to buy the next cake. We did that at work so by Fat Tuesday we all were. lol Everyone has a favorite bakery for King Cakes. Mine is in Rayne. I have never been there but my friends know if they go to get me one too.

    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the Baby Jesus is made out of gum drops, because if you broke your tooth on the King that would not be good luck.

    You talked about poo!

    Roxanne

    The Good Luck Duck

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH I love the savannah! Brings back my childhood. I think I can remember back that far...or can I.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I certainly hope your luck changes for 2012. It wasn't very good last year. Enjoy your new stop over!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy!!!!! Somewhere in my blog we have a picture of a woodpecker up in Ontario, Canada. Wonder if it is the same kind?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pileated woodpeckers are so cool. Great photos! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those Pileated Woodpeckers....your pics make mine look like pikers....That Savannah looks like a great place to stay put for a while...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Rousses King Cakes. My favorite is the cream cheese, or even the cinnamon. This will the first time in several years we won't be close enough to get one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pic of the Pileated Woodpecker...seen 2 in the past 2 days but unable to get a pic of it.
    Hey, Here's to good luck in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always loved the pileated woodpeckers that hung around my home in North Carolina, but they can sure mess up the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That cake looks yummy...never had a King's Cake. Guess you will have good luck this year since you go the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  13. sometimes it would be nice to be a dog?..someone ticks you off?..pee on them and walk away!?..lol..have a good one..hope you have some good luck in 2012!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That trail looks great! You've inspired me..my next post will be a look back at our last trip to Newfoundland and my photos of the pitcher plants there. I've never been in the area you're in now, I'll have to live vicariously through your visit, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hope that baby pays off in a big way!

    math... now that's why you're so good at the photography!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice pictures again.
    They say its a dogs life, I think they have a darn good life, they don't give a crap about anything, not even who see's them crap.

    ReplyDelete
  17. mmmmmmmm cake!!!!

    Love, love, love the Pileated Woodpecker shots. Got them all the time in the yard at the old house and sure do miss seeing them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great bird shots again - you're the best at that for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the woodpecker shots! And I have a fondness for all things Mardi Gras. My husband and I got married in N.O. during Mardi Gras in 1978 and, amazingly, we're still married!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good shots on the pecker! We have them around here, but you don't get to see them often. They take flight as soon as they know they've been spotted too. I saw 2 here last year, ran in to get my camera & they both flew away, so no photo session with them. I'd totally forgotten about Kings Cakes! Your choice sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Picking a King Cake with the baby on top? And then eating a piece with the baby placed on it?

    Isn't that cheating? ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely shots, Love the pileated - I have yet to get close enough for a decent shot. Also I can empathize with your mouse issues, us as well, all our things are now stored on tables

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's one of the reasons we are dieting--way too much king cake while in Louisiana. That chocolate one looked delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great shot of the woodpecker. Sometimes you got to envy a dog's life :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm thinking we could all take lessons from Emma! I am in pretty good shape but I'm not sure I could do three miles with 45 pounds in any amount of time...

    ReplyDelete
  26. All I have to say is YUM on that cake...
    Have fun & Travel safe
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mmm. I can almost taste that cake. I love Bavarian cream.

    I can't believe I get to be the first one to say it: Pi are not squared; pi are round. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. not fond of woodpeckers had to have house sided before he stopped banging on our bedroom wall. Hope the king cake works you deserve it. Did you know that St, Louis has the 2nd largest Mardi Gras in the country,really a big deal here
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well I think it's all been said by the time I just got in from my kayak paddle but they are right the pictures are GREAT and you have more comments and followers than any of the Republican nominees. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nice shot of the Pileated Woodpecker. They are a beautiful bird. Last winter I was able to get a nice shot of a pale-billed woodpecker which I thought was pretty cool. If you want a look at it you can see it here www.travelwithkevinandruth.com/2011/01/playa-tangolunda-huatulco-day-3.html

    Kevin and Ruth
    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like woodpeckers - especially one with a red Mohawak - cute!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is the best looking King's cake I have ever seen. I didn't realize you could get different types. I have only seen the garish looking ones that were really bright colors. Looked like more fun than good eating. Wishing you all the best of luck this year!

    http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete