.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Monday, February 4, 2013

I’m at the head of the class! ;)

Twelve days ago, I had an appointment to get the 21 staples taken out of my incision.  As I hobbled along with my walker on that day, the vital signs nurse remarked that I was doing pretty good.  She said most patients are still using a wheel chair for this appointment.

Today it was an appointment with Dr. Brodersen to check on my progress.  I drove myself to Waycross after my PT nurse, Buffy, put me through my paces early this morning.  She thought the doctor might be impressed with my progress.  I wasn’t so sure. 

The same vital signs nurse took note of my use of a cane and remarked, “You’re sure picking up speed!”  You betcha!  I’m on a mission.

My BP was fine, so she took me to a room to await the doctor.  Remarkably, in about 30 seconds he appeared and told me I had to perform… a walk across the room and back for him.  I guess he was impressed as he happily said, “That was wonderful, and deserves a kiss.”  He shook my hand and gave me a peck on the cheek.   First time I’ve ever had a doctor do that.  He also told me that most patients use the walker for six weeks before thinking about using only a cane, so I was at the head of the class.  I told him waiting six weeks was not on my agenda. 

He then answered any questions I had about restrictions, and wrote me a note to return to four days a week of volunteering after two weeks of half days.  I’ll see him one more time in two months, and then I’m free to move on.  Yippee!  I do have some bending restrictions until July, but I can live with those.  I’m so pleased to be walking without all of that pain.  Things continue to noticeably improve each day.

IMG_1562

In celebration, Emma and I took Swamp Island Drive this afternoon to see what we could see.  Not much was out and about at that time of the day, and the skies had become overcast.

IMG_1560

I was surprised to find even one ‘gator near the side of the road.  Most of them were in hiding because of the cool temperatures.  I stopped at the VC to make a copy of a medical record, and ran into Gracie, the volunteer coordinator.  As we chatted, she told me to remind her a week before Robyn and family comes to visit so she can arrange a swamp boat trip for us. 

That means we’ll all get an extraordinary trip into the swamp similar to the two trips I’ve made for the Christmas Bird Count and the trail maintenance trip.  I’m excited about that for all of us. Open-mouthed smile  By March, there should be plenty of alligators for the grandgirls to see!

IMG_1563

                                                                           Near ‘THE END’!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

43 comments:

  1. That is hilarious. You should have asked him if you got the surgery for free, since you were head of the class. Ya, I know it would have been nope! Just a gold star.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. I am so glad to hear you are doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great to see you are doing so well, Now If can just get Donna through her procedure as well on Friday. Oh yeah Rigg's says to tel Emma make sure and take care of Mom like he is doing. Be safe out there, Sam & Donna..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, good for you. It's been worth all the hard work, I'm sure. It must be nice for doctors to have a patient who is willing to work so hard to get better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy that you have risen to the head of the class, now I suppose you'll have to make a speech for graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... and another wow on the alligator tail...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great news Judy! I'll get your entrance application submitted today so you can run the Chicago Marathon this Fall!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always thought you would be at the head of the class! I have never ever gotten a kiss from a doctor:) On reflection, I guess I am pretty happy about that-since I have never had a female doctor yet:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! None of us had any doubts that you would be a star performer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is fabulous news. So absolutely thrilled for your Judy. Keep up that great attitude! You are an inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SOOO glad to hear your doctors visit went well. I can see where I get my strong will and drive ;o). I can't wait to see you in a month with the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, Judy. And the "no pain" part is the best news! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Men are always looking for a chance to steal a kiss from a lovely lady. :c)

    Keep up the good work, you'll be running marathons in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a trooper.... soon you will wondering why you didn't do it sooner! Let the good times roll!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm very happy for you. I knew you would get moving as fast as you could. I know how great it feels to not feel pain 24/7 too. Keep on Keepin on Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your quick recovery. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You go girl! Way to go. So happy you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow!....Glad to hear that you are doing so well.....and no pain, way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great news...keep up the good work Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have been an inspiration in so many ways. I hope if I ever have to deal with a joint replacement I will be as strong as cheerful about it as you have been.

    Keep counting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So happy to hear about your speedy recovery. You must be one tough gal. Do you think your speedy recover has anything to do with that nurse that was staying with you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hmmm. The kiss strikes me as a little creepy but I'm thrilled to hear about the rest of your progress. Just don't let them push you into more than you should do at work. You can be strong about that, too, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! So happy to see u are doing so well!! Which hip was it? I am sure you said at one point. To even be driving, that is so cool. Glad the pain has abated.... That must be such a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good for you for being at the top of your class. My Dad just had a hip replacement done on Friday and was heading home today from the hospital. This is his second and I think he has the same determination as you and he won't be down for long.

    Kevin and Ruth
    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations Judy, u r truly an inspiration! U'll be back out there enjoying urself in a very short time I'm sure. So glad it went well for u and great to see such determination!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great news... your determination has paid off. Love the 'gator shots.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm not surprised at all to hear you are at the head of the class! Great going.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Judy, you overachiever. Good to hear you can get "productive" again after all that slacking off.

    ReplyDelete
  29. glad to hear that the recovery process is going so well..way to go Judy!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great news! Glad your recovery is going so well... as if there were doubts ;-) I envy you those boat trips... but you sure deserve them.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hats off to you for a great attitude and doing all the physio exercises and probably more besides.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Head of your class--and a kiss on the cheek--pretty good Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congrats, Judy, well done. Seeing that gator would make me run even with a broken hip!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. butterbean carpenterFebruary 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM

    Howdy Judy & Emma,
    Did Kurt get back to the Arizona chill-box, okay?? Where's all of the sunshine; in Texas?? We NEED rain clouds!!!
    YOU GO GIRL!!! Tell the 'kissin' ' doctor you are an outdoors-woman; not a 'hot-house' plant!!!!
    What a great pic of ol' toothy and on a cool, overcast day!!! I always thought that alligators hibernated except on warm sunny days; like snakes...
    Give Emma a hug, pat & ear-scratch for us!!!

    Hope everything goes as great today as the check-up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congratulations on the excellent progress. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  36. You show-off, you! ;) Just kidding, if I ever have to go through this I'll go back to read these posts and try to follow in your
    'footsteps'!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Nice of the doc to congratulate you for a work well done ... well deserved ... your persistence has won the day.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Good deal! It is great that you are progressing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  39. It's the best time to make a few plans for the long run and it's time
    tο be hapρy. I have rеad thіs post аnd іf І maу I want to сounѕеl
    you few fascinating things or suggеstions.
    Maybe you can write subѕequent articleѕ гegarding this articlе.
    Ӏ want to learn mοre things appгοхimately it!
    my web site: loans for bad credit

    ReplyDelete
  40. That's wonderful news Judy! You're an inspiration. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete