.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Saturday, April 13, 2013

You’re safe again, Paul Dahl!

It’s been a very busy several days here at Okefenokee NWR as I finished up my working commitments, and began preparations for pulling out on Monday morning.  I worked Thursday and Friday, and finally decided I needed two days to pack everything up and take care of final details.  No refuge work today meant I could begin all the myriad tasks after being here for close to six months. 

IMG_2522 IMG_2516

While I was out roving on Thursday, I came across a yellow-crowned night heron in one of the little ponds along Phernetton Freeway.  These birds usually sleep during the day, and hunt at night, but it was actively looking for something to eat.

IMG_2526

                                                              “I spy a little fish down there!”

This is the first time I’ve seen anything of much interest on this little pond, so I was quite excited.  It stayed around at least two days, so all the other volunteers got to see it also after I reported it.  That was pretty neat.

IMG_2537

It seems that every time I’m about to leave a refuge, some wildlife stops to visit me close to my rig.  I like to think that Mother Nature is saying goodbye, and thanks for caring.  Friday was no exception.  I have been wanting to see more than the tail end of a departing endangered gopher tortoise since I got here, and thought it just wasn’t going to happen.

IMG_2546

Lo and behold, while all of the volunteers were at their rigs for lunch this fellow/gal marched into the village and didn’t run away!  It walked down our little circular drive and stopped for lunch in my front yard.  Cool beans, for sure!  After eating, it left several calling cards for me to remember it by.  Smile with tongue out  Believe it or not, it’s leavings were the same size as Emma dumps.  I quickly cleaned them up before Emma decided they were a delectable hors-devour. 

Paul and Marti Dahl are fellow fulltime RV bloggers, for those that don’t know them, and several years ago I commented on his blog about how he keeps his rig so clean and shiny on the outside.  He responded by saying he would be more than happy to wash and wax my rig any time our paths crossed.  Well, our paths have crossed several times, with no washing or waxing of my rig happening.  There always seems to be some excuse, like bad weather or one of us moving on in the morning.  Hmm… The latest reason seems to be that he is waiting for eye surgery with the VA for not visiting.  Sarcastic smile I ask you, doesn’t that seem a little flimsy?? Who me?

_MG_1962 _MG_1965

Not to worry, Paul, I found a willing and able young biology intern, Connor, on the refuge, happy (before the job) to wash and wax the rig for me.  He did admit that he didn’t think it would take the eight hours I predicted it would.  I’m thinking he’ll sleep well tonight, but he has the satisfaction of helping out a little old lady and making more money in a day than he gets paid on the refuge in a week. Winking smile  I suppose I should say that I don’t mind hiring these interns one bit, just don’t tell Paul…

IMG_2536

                                                                              THE END!!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

27 comments:

  1. If you'd just stay in one place a little longer, we could conclude the rig washing business.

    Don't worry, I will catch up with you one of these days long enough to wash your rig. Just make sure you're in a campground that allows it.

    My Journey is looking similar to a school bus right now with all the pollen. We are not allowed to wash rigs in this campground. After sitting for almost six months I'm afraid I'll be woken up some morning by a bunch of school kids wanting a ride to class!

    In the mean time, you should have had that intern give Flat Jack some rig washing lessons. That would make for some good pictures! ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love today's photos!! And a clean rig to boot. Have a great Sunday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, guess word has gotten around to the animal kingdom that you are leaving soon. I know you are looking forward to changing locales.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are leaving here tomorrow so I can certainly relate to all the things that need done before that final goodbye... that tortoise looked interesting... about the best I can report from here was a roadrunner scooting across the road in front of us. We generally wait until our next location to do that wash job... seems the road trip getting to "wherever" sure does the dirty deed on windows, rig, etc. Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. That yellow-crown is beautiful. I love the colors on its head.

    Now that the rig is clean and you are almost packed, check your list twice before you leave for your next adventure.

    Sent from my iPhone

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mother Nature sure knows how to thank you ... what a great sighting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool that you got to see the night heron and the tortoise. Have a safe trip. I have a question, this is the first time my RV will be sitting for months without me taking it out for shopping, etc. Do you add any kind of fuel stabilizer to your gas tank or do anything else to the rig when it sits for so long? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad the gopher tortoise came for a visit with you today. What a thrill! Sure made for some great photos for you to cherish!

    Be safe on Monday.....happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you a safe journey. I've really enjoyed your time at Okefenokee. Looking forward to your next assignment.....jc

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, I love your new header! Is there something special about the turtle's tail? The yellow-crowned night heron is beautiful - I like the photo of him watching the water with those big eyes. Funny that after six months, you end up with great photos of two critters you haven't seen yet. We just never know what's around the next corner, do we? Happy travels in your clean rig! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wishing you a happy and safe journey. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That turtle experience along with the Heron is awesome! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pictures of the Gopher tortoise. Isn't it great when Mother nature cooperates?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Safe travels. I'm looking forward to reading about your next adventure!
    Teri
    markteri.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you finally got the rig washed. I always like ours clean before we travel, but it seems it always gets so dirty on the trip that I've gotten over that and just settle for clean sheets.

    It's nice you finally got to see a gopher. I didn't realize they left such large calling cards, and yes, I have no doubt Emma would have loved those "hershey kisses."

    ReplyDelete
  16. Paul is slower than that Turtle in your photos when it comes to washing your rig!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That gopher tortoise sure has a mouth full!!! We leave Wednesday for Maine...safe travels to you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "On the road again!" Safe travels, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those retired Coasties are just not reliable!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well since you don't need Paul now can I take over the offer? Poor Winnona is in great need.

    I'm sure all the critters have sent their representatives to say good bye to you. They will miss how much you care and the fabulous pictures you take of them. Today's are no exception. That salad munching is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mother Nature know who really appreciates her..and she give you all of her best..That Heron and the Tortoise are the "creme de la creme".....a fitting good bye...Make sure you pack your mukluks for Minnesota!

    ReplyDelete
  22. great pics. . .and a wonderful turtle send off. . .way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, what cool finds with nature today! Especially the smiling eye candy on top of your rig ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Safe travels. And thanks for a great education on the Okefenokee Swamp.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just love that night heron he has such a funny looking face and those eyes, really something. Glad you saw him for all of us to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great photos as usual. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete