.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Friday, September 20, 2013

Are you ready for a little contest?

I had my scissors ready for cutting this morning as I headed for work.  Last Monday, during the rain, I spent the morning finding good pictures on the internet of 10 different bird species.  The Tamarac Fall Festival will be happening about a week after I leave here, but one of the activities for visitors will be to learn to identify these ten species.  After Janice, the volunteer coordinator, printed my found pictures off, it was my job today to cut all their silhouettes out and then laminate them.  They’ll be posted in trees and grasses at the festival site.  Visitors will be given a pair of binoculars and asked to find these breeding birds of Tamarac at one of the activity stations.

IMG_0212

After I got them all cut out, Janice gave me a run through on how to operate this large laminator.  Most of the laminators I’ve used at other refuges have been little desk top models that are quite easy to use.

IMG_0213

One of the challenges of using this bigger model is its location.  Since the normal office and visitors center has been closed for a year, all of the equipment is crammed into the maintenance buildings.  I won’t go into all the details of operating this thing, but just let me say it was interesting for a vertically challenged individual.

IMG_0214

Janice got the first batch going, and it really took two of us to manage it in a timely manner since it was too high off of the ground, and you couldn’t get behind it to keep the laminate taut as the pictures rolled out.

After lunch, I spent some time trimming all of those birds so they could be used individually.  Not very exciting, but it was something to do on another dismal rainy day.

IMG_0218

                                                      Here’s half of what I ended up with. 

IMG_0219

              And here’s the other half.  (You can ignore that dark chocolate Milky Way on the right Surprised smile)

There are some duplicates, but all in all there are ten species of birds displayed.  So, here’s the little contest.  Can you identify what ten species are represented?  They are all birds that breed on the refuge in the summer, and there aren’t any exotic birds in their midst.  I even have a small prize in mind for the person that can name the most amount of species correctly. 

I know most of you aren’t bird nerds, but if you have a bird guide it shouldn’t be too difficult.  You also have to understand that after seven days of rain, fog, and dreariness, I’m getting a little desperate for blog topics.  Here’s a hint to get you started: the bird in the top center of the first pic is a black-billed cuckoo.

Tomorrow, some fellow bloggers will stop by for a visit, and if the drizzles ever stop I’m hoping to dry my outside rug and pack it away.  Slowly but surely I’m getting things packed up for my departure.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

20 comments:

  1. Is the blue bird a bunting? That is the only one I think I can ID (and I'm still not sure). I don't have my bird book with me - left it at home. When do you leave Tamarac?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you have to be careful with that machine or you could laminate some fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I know for sure is the rose breasted grosbeak...aybe a wren. This will be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm. . .well I know the names of some of them. . .but not near enough to win a contest. . .LOL!

    I definitely recognize that little wren. . .we were at war with their cousins this past spring. . .they build nests anywhere and everywhere. . .quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You ALWAYS manage to make your daily life interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The heck with the contest. I want the Milky Way candy bar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting pictures, but as slow as I am at identifying birds, I'd be here all night!! I do recognize a house sparrow(?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I recognize the wren, indigo bunting and Red-Breasted Grosbeak...maybe a grouse and a falcon or hawk?

    That laminating machine sure brings back a lot of memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to get my Sibley out and really think.
    Black-billed Cuckoo,Wilson's Snipe, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Ruffed Grouse, Hermit Thrush, Swainsons Thrush, Golden-winged Warbler, Mourning Warbler, White-throated Sparrow, and Indigo Bunting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That Indigo Bunting reminds me. When granddaughter Charlotte was two, I went with her and my daughter to local library for story-hour. The reader opened a book and asked the children what was in the picture, expecting to hear "bird". Charlotte said - Goldfinch. She was right. Then the next picture she said Bluebird. Daughter Amy replied to me - "can you believe she said Bluebird? That's an Indigo Bunting!" Hey, the child was TWO. Now at 7 she knows a heck of a lot more than her old grandma!

    I'm still working on my list of sightings. Thanks for the confirmation they were Pelicans flying overhead. Hubby thought so. (Hate to tell him he's right).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is there a Robin in there anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm just starting to pay attention to species of birds - better late than never. I wish I had begun at 2, like Charlotte. She could become a James Audubon by the time she's 10!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love looking at birds but have to see the same one a couple dozen times before I remember the name!
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw a rose-breasted grosbeak, and an indigo bunting, and a bunch of warblers....

    ReplyDelete
  15. It would have been easier to ignore the dark chocolate Milky Way if you hadn't pointed it out to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you didn't laminate yourself by accident...or on purpose!

    And I didn't know your refuge was a breeding ground for Milky Ways... :cD

    ReplyDelete
  17. black billed cuckoo, ruffed grouse, indigo bunting, mourning warbler, rose-breasted grossbeak,common yellowthroat, partridge,american woodcock,Brown thrasher, some kind of sparrow

    Well that is my best guess- fun stuff

    ReplyDelete
  18. A great idea, that contest...I'm certainly no birder, but I could have identified a Hummer for sure!! We have a gazillion right now! Getting ready to travel is half the fun! I envy you that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That was fun! But are you sure there are just ten? Oh well, here goes nothing: Ruffed Grouse, American Woodcock, Black-billed Cuckoo, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, White-throated Sparrow, Golden-winged Warbler, Brown Trasher, Mourning Warbler, Indigo Bunting, Veery.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fun contest... love seeing what folks think they are. Will be fun to see the answers.

    ReplyDelete