.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Monday, September 8, 2014

Finally decided on five pics to enter

About a month or so ago, I posted around a dozen photos and asked for your input on which ones to choose for the Tamarac NWR Friends’ Photo Contest.  I appreciated all the comments and suggestions made by readers.  I had an awful time deciding since I could only pick five photos total, with only two in any one category.  I also had a couple of more favorites that I took since that post.

Well, with the deadline for entry being this coming Friday, I had to make a decision.  Tonight’s pics are what I ended up choosing.

_MG_0608

                                                 “Honest Dad, I’m not getting wet!”  (Recreation)

I went off to the CVS store in Detroit Lakes last week with a thumb drive containing my 13 possible entries.  I don’t have a printer, and I needed to submit the photos on glossy 5X7 paper.  That was a challenge in itself as half of the photos came out all rumpled up, and the cost was over $25.  After complaining, a manager came to produce the photos individually, and I wasn’t charged for the messed up ones. 

IMG_0758A

                                                           “Hanging out at the VC.”  (Wildlife)

Then today, I also had to get the digital images onto a CD to submit, and fill out the paperwork.  After a couple of attempts, the computer finally formatted the CD and I copied the photos to it (I hoped).

IMG_3705

                                                         “Pelicans in the Mist”  (Scenic)

The photos are judged on the printed version, and the pelicans just ‘popped’ in print.  This afternoon, I headed into headquarters to be sure the photos were on the CD, and they were.  No problems like I encountered with my Flat Joey CD last year.  What a relief!

Where's Mom?

                                                            “Where’s Mom?”  (Wildlife)

My decision of what pictures to choose was finally made a little easier when I realized that I could send five more pictures for next year’s contest.  So I can submit my other five favorite pics next year since all submissions must be within a two year time span.  That’s when I’ll enter the fox and the Sherry and David pics.

IMG_7957

                                                     “Damsels in ‘Caress’”  (Nature’s Abstracts)

Of course, I’m just one of many that are submitting photos.  Remember when Robyn and the grandgirls came to visit in July?

DSC_0760.NEF

Well, I know I’ll be competing against this pic that Robyn took while she was here.  The competition is stiff!  I hope we both get a ribbon. We’ll find out near the end of October how we did.  It’s fun for me no matter what the outcome is.

The plan is to head out a week from today if the winds are favorable.  I’ve been thinking a lot about this excursion to Arizona, and it brought to mind the fact that Nurse Ratchet normally eats out one or two meals a day.  I, on the other hand, only eat out about once a month.  Could be interesting.  Eye rolling smile

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

 

30 comments:

  1. With those entries I see some winners, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics for the contest Judy!
    Wow...a week from today. You are going to have a ball!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you're excited about pictures and traveling and Arizona (geez, what weather they're having!) and eating out, and oh my goodness, ain't life grand?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite has to be the one of your grand daughters in sepia! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And as I just reread the end...your daughter took that photo...oops.

      Delete
  5. I love all the pics just as much this time around. . .I think the Damsel in Caress may be my fave. . .but those grandboys sure are cute too. . .good luck!

    Hope you have good internet service, and are able to keep us posted as to how your journey with Nurse Ratchet is going. . .safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It should be fun to to see how the contest come out. Good Luck!! Hope you have a good visit with Nurse Ratchet :-)

    ReplyDelete

  7. In the hands of the Judges ...... Hoping for a winner and sure feel you have a great chance.....
    It is nothing but suspense !!! Good luck on your journey ..... Not sure how the meals will shape up but you could flip a coin !!!! Maybe half and half....that is the way it goes sharing a vacation ..... It sure will be nice for you to hit the road and take a break ..... Best of luck along the way !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of them are great and you will get a ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all the photos you chose. And I love the one your daughter took of the girls. Yes tough one.
    If you get around Tucson give me a yell would love to meet up somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And I wish you both the best of luck in the contest

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks to me like you will have a very good chance of walking away with a winning picture out of those five and I think the one Robyn took of the girls is definitely a winner! Good Luck!

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have submitted the best five pictures of my thumb. I would use the best five pictures of my lens cap as backups... :cD

    ReplyDelete
  13. The photos are great, but it's the captions that really make them complete. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They all look like winners to me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nurse Ratchet says: " About going out to eat....I'm just practicing for when I get to the old folks home".......

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you cook I suspect that Nurse Ratchet will be happy to eat at home. If you share cooking duties then I guess you will be eating out about 1/2 the time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like those photos that you picked!

    ReplyDelete
  18. All the pics are GREAT!..Den and I eat out once a week..Actually, we order out and eat IN...I guess that's called "carry-outs", and I refuse to cook on Saturday nights...It's against my religion.. I go to the "Church of What's Happenin' Now!"...(I'll just bet that statement offended a few peeps, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the ones you chose and your titles are fabulous! Can't imagine one of those won't win. Can't wait to find out. Hmmmm, the eating out/eating in dilemma. I suppose nurse will eat in if you cook. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Judy the pixs are great. Be sure to let us know which ones win. As for your trip to AZ, which ever way the meals turn out, it will be an adventure & lots of fun. Becki

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your photos are all winners, submitted or not.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love all 5, can't choose my favorite...though I am partial to I'm not getting wet. I am so behind, I'm starting here and reading forward.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Am cruising through some of your old blog posts and enjoying each and every one but this one blew me away. You definitely made AMAZING choices of your 5 pictures. They are absolutely stunning. Hope it is okay I've added you to my reading list as well. Travel tales and great photos - what could be better.

    ReplyDelete