.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Friday, January 15, 2016

Another week gone by

Time does seem to get away from me here at Jojoba.  I had my training for volunteering in the library last Saturday, and I’ve spent some time a couple of days this past week taking care of returned books and DVDs.  There’s quite an extensive DVD section, and lots of people take advantage of the very reasonable $.50/DVD rental rate.  All rentals and book borrowings are done on the honor system, so working there is quite easy.

There are two off leash dog parks here, and if you have a dog that uses either or both of them, you are automatically a member of the dog park committee.  On Thursday, about 25 of us dog owners met for a potluck dinner and short meeting.  Plans are in the works for establishing a dog wash station in the park.  Now that’s something I’d like to see happen.  Emma won’t know what hit her once that is built.  Just like most everything else here, it will be funded and built by park members.

One of the challenges for ladies living on the road is trying to get a decent hair cut.  I’ve had my share of scalpings in the last nine years.  It turns out that there is a lady in the park that does cuts right out side her rig, under a cabana, for $8.  I think there’s even a heater out there for chilly days.  Her big old dog, Murray, welcomes you as you arrive in your golf cart.  The first time I went, the cut was a little short.  I went again this week, and the cut was just right.  She now knows my hair and where my cowlicks are.  Winking smile

Since I had such a good time at the Ladies’ Day Air Gun Shoot in November, I decided to return to the airgun field yesterday for the Ladies’ Poker Shoot.  I had no idea what that meant, but I ran into Mike and Terry (two of the biggies in the air gun club) earlier in the week while I was at the dog run with Emma.  I’m so glad I stopped them to talk about my budding interest in this sport.  They both took me under their wings when I showed up for the shoot. 

A Poker Shoot means each contestant has two minutes and five shots to try to hit up to five playing cards that are set up on top of one of those wooden work horses out in the firing range.  You are shooting at the backs of the cards.  What ever cards you hit determines your poker hand.  Then it’s like five card draw, where you can choose to buy up to five more cards (that you have to hit with a bullet) to replace the cards you discard for your final hand.  Is that clear as mud?  Anyway, suffice it to say that I didn’t win, but I sure did have a lot of fun, and the guys really taught me a lot.  I did come home with six long stemmed roses for participating.  You can’t beat that.

Mike even called me tonight to let me know that the gun I was most comfortable with was on sale at a local feed store in Temecula.  Since I’d planned to go into town tomorrow anyway to find the farmer’s market, what do you think the chances are that I’ll be coming home with an air rifle??  Look out Annie Oakley!! Rolling on the floor laughing

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

36 comments:

  1. Its nice to have found that Park and all the fun things that go on there. I bet you come back with that gun. Can't wait for your next post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are having fun! How was the singles gathering...you didn't mention that! Cold here...sub zero figured I would mention it just incase you were too warm there in CA:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious to know if the gun you will be buying requires a background check, etc. Also, do you have to get a license for it to be legal? If you need a license, is a vision test required? I ask because most people past a certain age have deteriorating vision, but I'm sure many of these people have guns. Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next you'll be getting your concealed weapon license (just kidding).... but that gun things sounds like so much fun. Does an air rifle have much kick?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so with you on the hair cut issue. I hate looking for someone to "trim" my hair. They all want to "cut" it and way too short.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the best parts of staying stationary in Port A for me is that I get to go to the same hairdresser ... it's nice to come out without being scalped.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds as if you are staying busy--so glad you are enjoying your new spot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suzanne and I both want to go back to Jojoba Hills to get Carol to cut our hair again! She did a great job, and you can't beat the price.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Noce that you are enjoying your new home with lots to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that's the kind of guns I could get to like. I know I will be a terrible shot, but am looking forward to trying it out. Perhaps by the time we get there, there will be a bigger female group. You can go more than once a month can't you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You never cease to surprise me. Now along with your title as Bird Lady of Blog Land, you can add "Gun Moll". :cD

    ReplyDelete
  12. ha. . .now that shooting contest I would love to see. . .what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The weeks sure do pass by quickly! It's so nice to have things tomdo and folks around to them with. I wish every park could have a doggie wash station...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Judy it sounds like you are really enjoying your life in this community! Keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lot going on there in your new community. And you are taking advantage to the hilt. As someone named Judy would say COOL BEANS.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They recently put in a dog wash here at the Rv park and what a great thing it is. It's up off the ground to make it easier on the owners, has sides and a hook to tie the dog, then a blower to finish up. What a great idea. Too bad I can't take Baxter there.

    I had to look up what an airgun was. Now I know. So you're shooting with a rifle? The poker shoot sounds like fun. We shoot weekly and really enjoy it. It's about the only fun thing we're doing lately and it's a great stress reliever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. My new acquired grandkids (through my son's marriage) are into airgun shooting competition at the 4H. They are not only accurate but expensive, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good to hear things are moving along at Jojoba Hills for you. Sounds like you are finding things to do and meeting lots of people. I like the outdoor salon. Reasonable prices so you save some $$ and she make a few bucks. And now she knows how you like your hair cut. Any chance you might be giving a birding presentation or two at one of the meetings their in the campground?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Getting a good haircut can really be a pain. So that's why I carry my own hairdresser with me. Have fun in the Hills this week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Getting a good haircut on the road is one of Jo's biggest challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The shooting contest is just like life-you have to be good and lucky:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Always good to do something that requires concentration, motor skills and is fun. Good practice for the mind and body.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's the first thing to find if your new to place a "Good Salon" LOL

    Indoor Cannabis

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a busy woman you are haha keep posting I enjoy reading your blog :)

    Garrett Turbos

    ReplyDelete