.

.
Borrego Springs, CA

Friday, January 8, 2016

Keeping busy

One of my frequent commenters has asked a couple of times what it is I do to fill my days now that I have a home base, and am not tooling around a National Wildlife Refuge and volunteering.  Well, guess what?  That’s what I’m going to post about tonight.  Thanks for asking, Sherry

I’ll start with today.  At 10:00 I went to my second meeting of the Photo Bugs Club in the park.  Normally, they meet every two weeks to view members photos on an assigned topic, and give constructive criticism.  Today was the first time I brought some photos, and those are the pics I’ll include in tonight’s post.

IMG_2532

The topic for this session was winter plants.  I’m hoping to learn more about photography.  I think I generally do OK with  composition, but I don’t have a clue about ISO settings or some of that other stuff.  Might as well take advantage of free learning from others, and believe me many of the other members have great knowledge. 

IMG_2533

Last Tuesday I went to a tree and shrub pruning class.  I learned a lot in a rather short time.  We didn’t get any hands-on experience because it was pouring rain outside, but I think I know how to take care of my orange tree now.

IMG_2535

(These flowers are blooming on my lot in January!)  On Thursday, I went to the Fitness Center open house to learn how to use all of the equipment.  The beauty of this experience was that it was geared toward people my age that may be afflicted with back, shoulder, knee, etc. problems.  Right up my alley.  I’ve only used the treadmill and recumbant bicycle there, but now I know how to use the other equipment as well, and got to try it out with someone to coach me on its best use for me.

IMG_2539

Tomorrow, I’m going to be trained in on volunteering at the park library.  I make great use of that library, and wanted to do my part.  In a Co-Op Park, like Jojoba is, just about all the amenities and activities are run and maintained by member volunteers.

IMG_2543

(Can’t wait to taste this juicy morsel.)  On this coming Monday, there’s another air gun day in the morning, and a baked potatoe dinner with all the trimmings, after the weekly members meeting, to support the fitness center.  On Tuesday, the solos in the park are going out for dinner.  I think I’ll give that a try.

DSC_0126

In addition to the assigned photo challenge for the meeting, you can also bring two of your favorite photos from the past.  You know I had to bring one with birds in it.  Winking smile  The next assignment is ‘macro’.  I don’t have a macro lens, so I’ll be bringing several close up shots.  Since I’m not on a refuge, the photo bugs give me an incentive to go take some pictures.

IMG_9009

This is the second ‘favorite’ photo that I brought, and I’m pleased that everyone enjoyed it… a foggy morning in the long leaf pine forest of Mississippi.

So, I keep pretty busy here at Jojoba, with plenty of time to take care of mundane chores and not have to set the alarm clock.  I’m enjoying it.  As is usual, it’s mostly couples here at the park and I’d like to find a ‘best friend’.  You know, someone you can call up on the spur of the moment to do something.  I’m no big social butterfly, and I know relationships take time.  I’ll just give it some of that time…

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy 

35 comments:

  1. Your Orange is looking good! Sounds like lots of fun at the Park! It is good to have a wide variety of activities:) Hope you find that best friend soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last photo is a stunner. We are always busy when sitting still at home, so much so that we wonder how we can fit traveling and sightseeing into our days. So I am not surprised that you have plenty to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photos, Judy. Great job.
    Sounds like a lovely park with something for everyone. Glad you are out enjoying the activities and making new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've enjoyed all your pictures over the years. I find them very interesting and your stories that go with them really bring them to life. I wish I had your talent. I'd be bringing pictures to your club of my thumb, I have to learn how to take a photo without my thumb in the way... ;c)

    I'm surprised that you didn't bring any of your famous "The End" shots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great opportunities to have fun while learning new things.... If I have one regret about being a Full-timer, it's that we're never any place long enough to take classes... I would love to learn more about photography (and cameras)... and it looks like you'll have lots of opportunities there. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew without your comment exactly where that last picture was taken. I have tried multiple times to get a picture even half as good without success. That picture is one of those best in a lifetime shots - the combination of skill, a good eye and luck that photographers all hope for. Even the pros.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are staying busy--I do love that foggy photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent pictures Judy, Looks like you are settling in pretty good there. Keeping yourself busy is always a good thing.
    And the exercise room a bonus too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have some great photos there & if I was living at Jojoba I would enjoy some of those interesting meetings & common interest groups as well. Always nice to learn new things with like minded people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad you're getting out and enjoying all the activities. The photo club sounds perfect for you. I'd like to take a photo class too one day. I love the pine forest photo. It's spectacular. I used to have extension tubes on my underwater camera and took some wonderful underwater macro pictures. I looked into buying something for my Canon, but got confused about what to get and never did get back to it. When you decide to buy a macro lens, let me know what you get. Do you know if they use extension tubes for above water cameras?

    That orange looks ready to eat to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, if I were there I would be your shadow and tagging along everywhere you go! Beautiful photos in the this post Judy! I would love the camera lessons...I do have a macro, but rarely ever use it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that last photo! Glad to hear you are joining in and keeping busy there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so happy you did this post. I had no idea there were SO many things to do there. You seemed to have picked great ones for you. They are things I know I would enjoy. You've really made me think about escapees parks. Thanks! Looking forward to more of your daily doings. I know you'll find a best friend and the singles dinner is a great place to start. Has Emma found a best friend at the doggie park?

    ReplyDelete
  14. The many possibilities for involvement and sharing are one of the things I liked about Jojoba. I'm so glad to hear they are working out for you. Life is what you make of it. Time goes by whether we make use of it or not!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just love that last pic. You do good work for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pictures!!! Yes, the 'parks' have lots of activities to partake of... and there are mostly couples :( not that they were not welcoming, they were very welcoming and kind, just always felt like I was on the outside and there was no one else around to 'pal' with.. it was odd, but lots to do if one was so inclined... I was in the Florida Panhandle and could not get enough of the beach :) always a happy place....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your photos. And good for you getting involved in different activities. I think it's a good idea to try out everything, and then settle in on the things you like best. I really hope you enjoy the fitness center - and yes, the other machines can be fun. I only do the ones I enjoy but I can sure see a difference in my back and arm muscles! The treadmill is probably the healthiest piece of equipment from the standpoint of your heart, but try not to fall :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice ways to keep busy.. that sunrise picture the one with the big flowers are my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wish I could be there and join you. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want to live in a place that has classes and groups that do things when we finally move to wherever we move to. That way it's easier to meet people. I'm sure you'll meet a friend to do things with. It IS more fun that way.

    I always love your photos..but I'm with you on the ISO/shutter speed/aperture thing. Though when I was up north for two weeks over the holiday I read some stuff and am beginning (just) to make some headway. Would be easier with someone to talk to about it though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like you a!re keeping yourself busy! I love the photos, especially the last one!

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. So great to hear that you are enjoying all the "stuff". I had no worries that you wouldn't be kept busy. Retirement is like that. The space just fills up somehow, and often with good stuff. We will be there soon, and thinking of coming over the mountain toward your park on the 20th with the Tracker for a visit. I'll email you when it gets closer but was hoping you would be around.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The flowers look like Iceplant, and they're beautiful pics. All of them are great. I've seen the last one (in person!) and it's perfect. I don't know anything about ISO either, but it's nice to learn when the teacher appears! :- )

    ReplyDelete
  24. That last one needs to be framed...just gorgeous. Enjoyed hearing what you do during an almost typical day...you are very active...you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your pictures are so beautiful especially loved the last one. I tried to post a link to Costco photo where they are having a sale on photos put on canvas. If you google Costco photo you will find it. Glad you are getting involved there. Sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful photos Judy! I had no idea that Jojoba had so many cool activities. Sure sounds like you picked a perfect home base!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Enjoyed your pics, especially your foggy morning. Mastering manual will let you get much better pictures since you are smarter than the camera. Sounds like you still are not sitting on your hands. Have a productive and fun year.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really enjoy your all the pics that you have shared. Especially your foggy morning. Thanks for sharing article about travel
    Get my website here National car insurance

    ReplyDelete
  31. Buy Ritomune 100mg Online is an antiviral medicine which is used to treat human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). This medicine is not a cure for HIV. It only prevents the virus from multiplying in your body. Monitoring of liver function and blood glucose levels is necessary while receiving this medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Buy vidalista 60 Online is a medication for the treatment of erectile dysfunction (ED) in men. The active ingredient tadalafil is a PDE-5 enzyme inhibitor, which helps to relax the muscles in the arteries of the penis allowing an increased blood flow resulting in an erection when combined with psychological or physical sexual stimulation

    ReplyDelete